Friday, February 26, 2010

MLB Season Preview

This week the Heads or Tails guys give us their Major League Baseball Season Preview. As always, Jason writes in brown and Matthew writes in orange. Jason will start us off with his National League East predictions followed by Matthew's and then the same way through all the divisions.

Jason's NL EAST
1. Atlanta
2. Philadelphia
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Washington

Right out of the gate I am picking a dark horse. I think most people will favor the defending NL champion Phillies but I think the Braves quietly made some of the biggest and most impactful off-season moves. Their rotation is anchored by veterans Derek Lowe and Tim Hudson then are followed up by two up and comers Jair Jurrjens and Tommy Hanson. That's a solid 4 right there. Plus they added Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito (who has a career ERA of 2.05 and a career WHIP of 1.01). In the field they brought in Melky Cabrera and Troy Glaus. Moving Glaus to first base is huge because it will lessen his chance of injury and give him a chance to shine at the plate. Look for the Braves to surprise a lot of people and add another division title to their resume.


Matthew's NL EAST
1. Philadelphia
2. Atlanta
3. Florida
4. Washington
5. New York

I think this is going to be an important year in the NL East where we will see the Nationals NOT finish in the cellar and the Mets hit rock bottom. The Braves will definitely compete in this division but going up against a great Phillies team anchored by Roy Halladay will not be an easy task. I don't like the Braves one bit but I hope this year is successful enough for Bobby Cox to get to the playoffs with his boys one more time. I respect the hell out of that man and what he's done in his two decades of managing. I am under the impression that the National's fan (I think there's just one) will get to see Stephen Strasburg jump to the bigs some time in June and he will make a nice impact on a club that has really had nothing go right in it's short (new) existence.


Jason's NL CENTRAL
1. Chicago
2. St. Louis
3. Cincinnati
4. Houston
5. Milwaukee
6. Pittsburgh

This division seems wide open. I think Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are bottom feeders. Pittsburgh isn't a surprise but Milwaukee's decline is. They have lost their entire starting infield except for Prince Fielder and their pitching staff is suspect. The rest could go in any order. I look for Cincinnati to make strides this season. They have a good young core that is starting to blossom. I think it is likely they hit but the question mark lies within the starting rotation. They have 3 up and coming pitchers in Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, and Homer Bailey. If at least 2 of those 3 can produce this season I look for them to contend. I'm not impressed by either the Cubs or Cardinals but they both always seem to win. The Cubs lineup looks better this year but their staff still has big question marks. I'm picking them to capture the division solely on that batting order.


Matthew's NL CENTRAL
1. St. Louis
2. Cincinnati
3. Chicago
4. Milwaukee
5. Houston
6. Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh will almost definitely continue their near-two decade string of futility and finish at the bottom of the Central. As for the upper echelon of the division, I think St. Louis will take the crown this year. I see the Cubs taking a couple steps back this year but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a couple trades during the season to make a push after the All-Star Break. You can't bet against a team managed by Tony LaRussa and a batting order that includes the leagues best hitter, Albert Pujols. I think the Reds will beat out the Cubs for the number two spot in the division because of their pitching. I think the same three that you mentioned will be the hinge on which the Reds swing into that spot. When new pitchers come in with good stuff, there is an adjustment period for the rest of the league and it will take a little while for the National League to really learn these pitchers.


Jason's NL WEST
1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. San Diego
4. Colorado
5. Arizona

It may look like a "gimme" for the Dodgers because they seem to have the best talent overall but do not sleep on the Giants. The bottom 3 look to stay there simply because they are all very young and very inexperienced. Colorado seems to streak but I don't think they have enough talent this year to make a run. San Diego has a nice core of young talent that I think will put them at the top of the bottom feeders but I'd be surprised if they finished any better than .500. Los Angeles' lineup is intimidating and I would even say puts them as the favorites to win the league. Their rotation is not too shabby either with Billingsley, Kershaw, and Kuroda. However, when it comes to rotations, at least in this division, it gets no better than San Francisco's. Lincecum is a freak. Cain is only a notch below him. Zito is not the stud he once was but he is smart and can still get the job done. Then there's #4 Jonathan Sanchez who threw a no hitter last season. If this team can find a way to score runs I think they steal one from the mighty Dodgers but that is a big "if". Keep an eye on this "sleeping giant" in 2010.


Matthew's NL WEST
1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Colorado
5. Arizona

The Rockies will NOT, I repeat, will NOT make another Cinderella run like they have the last couple years. Changing managers in the middle of the season will not work again. The Rockies will be what they are supposed to be: a 4th place team. I disagree with you, once again Jason, about the winner of this division. Led by a, borderline, great rotation the Giants are the team to beat. Lincecum is looking to join Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson as the only players in history to win the Cy Young Award for three consecutive seasons (They each did it four times). Do you see anything stopping him? I don't. Unless Roy Halladay completely outperforms him with the Phillies, this award is Lincecum's to lose. The Dodgers don't impress me very much. You have some aging talent and I think they are going to rely a little too much on Manny Ramirez. Matt Kemp is the key if the Dodgers want to win the West this year. The team will go as he goes.



Jason's AL EAST
1. New York
2. Boston
3. Baltimore
4. Tampa Bay
5. Toronto

The beast in the east is still New York. Boston is of course right there with them. I feel sorry for the Orioles because I really think they have turned their team around but it will most likely go unnoticed due to the dominance of the Yankees and Red Sox. I will say that in about 2 or 3 years if the Orioles can keep their young core in tact they might just make a push similar to that of the Rays of 2008. This season though it will be a two horse race. I say the Yankees win it simply on momentum. I do think their staff is better than Boston's but their lineup is surprisingly...mediocre. However, I don't think that's a bad thing. The Yanks always try to bomb teams out of the yard but this season they added guys like Curtis Granderson and Nick Johnson who will add balance to the team's power.


Matthew's AL EAST
1. New York
2. Boston
3. Tampa Bay
4. Baltimore
5. Toronto

I really hate that the Yankees winning the East is the first thing we're going to agree on. But, it is what it is. The Yankees have the best team that money can buy, and they always will. However, they play the games for a reason. If they didn't, I'd pick the Indians to win the whole thing every year and be a much happier person. I wish that I could agree with you about the Orioles. They have a good nucleus to build around but they are definitely a couple seasons away from seriously contending in the division. Boston doesn't impress me much anymore. Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and Josh Beckett can only carry them so far. Daisuke and Lester are wild cards every year and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays come in second but right now, I have to go with Boston in the two spot.


Jason's AL CENTRAL
1. Chicago
2. Minnesota
3. Kansas City
4. Detroit
5. Cleveland

I hate to say it but the White Sox look tough. Real tough. They made a number of moves this off-season including adding speedster Juan Pierre, power hitter Andruw Jones, and former Royal Mark Teahen. That coupled with a strong staff of Jake Peavy, Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, and Freddy Garcia make them not only a favorite to win the division but most likely a front runner for the league. I still think the Yankees and Red Sox are better but with their mid-season wars between one another I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pale Hose sneak into the World Series this year. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong.


Matthew's AL Central
1. Kansas City
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Minnesota
5. Cleveland

This is it. This is the year of the Royals. Zack Greinke has proven that he is a beast and he will anchor a rotation that has the potential to be very, very good. My one concern with the Royals is Scott Podsednik in left field. I really think he's in KC for a veteran presence to help out the young guys. Yuniesky Betancourt is scary and I think this will be a breakout year for him. The addition of Rick Ankiel will prove to be very important, in my opinion. This team reminds me a lot of the Rays that made it to the World Series: a group of young guys that nobody really expects a lot out of. Do not sleep on this team!


Jason's AL WEST
1. Seattle
2. Los Angeles
3. Texas
4. Oakland

This is my American League "dark horse" pick. At first glance I was ready to once again crown the Angels West champs but I couldn't ignore the improvements in Seattle. They added speedster Chone Figgins to the mix and he figures to combine with Ichiro to give Seattle a potent 1-2 punch at the top. With the emergence of Franklin Gutierrez and the addition of Milton Bradley this team will have a solid middle. Say what you want about Bradley but the guy can hit (just not in Chicago). "Junior" Griffey decided to give it another go and I think he will have a decent year. He will DH and I think he can add some pop towards the lower half of the order. They also made a couple silent moves with the addition of Casey Kotchman and Ryan Garko, which figure to platoon at first base. Both players are solid hitters and give the Mariners even more pop. The biggest move the Mariners made this off-season was adding former AL Cy Young winner Cliff Lee. He's a one year rental but that just adds to the fact that the Mariners want to win this year. Lee and Felix Hernandez give Seattle as good a 1-2 combo as any in baseball. Look for Seattle to ride these horses all the way to the playoffs
.

Matthew's AL WEST
1. Seattle
2. Los Angeles
3. Oakland
4. Texas

I have to agree with everything you said about the Mariners. This team looks absolutely phenomenal on paper. I mean, even the Indians won with this team (Cliff, Garko, Gutierrez)! The additions of Figgins for offense and Lee for pitching are definitely the clinchers. Ichiro will have another 200 hit season, Lee will dominate the West along with Felix and this team may compete for the best record in the American League when it's all said and done. The Angels look weak to me and have lost a lot of the pieces that made them great the last few years. Sorry Rally Monkey, your time has come to an end.


So there you have it. Lots of disagreement between the two predictions and they could both be completely wrong! Get ready for a great season of Major League Baseball!

No comments:

Post a Comment