Thursday, March 25, 2010

Baseball Movie Review

In this blog, the guys will discuss baseball movies. With the season right around the corner, Matthew and Jason thought it would be fun to review their Top 5 favorite baseball movies, and also hand out some awards while they're at it. So, without further ado, Matthew is going to get this one started.

1. Field of Dreams - This movie is, by far, my favorite baseball movie of all time. Just the thought of bringing some of the greatest ballplayers of all time back from the grave for a game in the middle of a cornfield is breathtaking to me. I love this movie and could watch it over and over.

2. Major League - How can you not love a movie about your favorite team? This one gives hope to all the Cleveland Indians fans in the world who hope that one day they will be able to reach the Championship plateau once again.

3. The Sandlot - I can't begin to tell you how happy I am that I re-discovered this movie in the past couple years. I can remember watching it when I was very young and not really appreciating it then. Then, a few years ago, I had a "Baseball Movie Day" with some friends at Bowling Green and this was one of the movies we watched. I fell in love with it and it has climbed my ranks. This will ALWAYS be in my Top 5!

4. Bull Durham - I almost make this and "The Sandlot" 3A and 3B because I love this movie so much. It's the prototypical baseball movie disguised as a bit of a love story so that guys can get their significant others to watch it with them, plus it's got a ton of subtle humor including a meeting on the mound to discuss that there's "a LOT of shit going on!" Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins work very well together in this classic.

5. Fever Pitch - I like this one because it's based in a lot of fact. You can't tell me that "Ben" didn't exist somewhere before this movie was made. Hell, Jimmy Fallon might even be the basis for this character! His love for the Red Sox is what got him this role and he plays it perfectly: kind of dorky but with an unbridled optimism that keeps him connected with his team. The fact that the ending had to be changed because the Red Sox actually WON the World Series is more reason to watch this movie.

Now for my awards in the following categories.

Best Baseball Comedy - The Bad News Bears (either one) - Walter Matheau and Billy Bob Thornton both play the Buttermaker role amazingly well. Matheau did it best though.

Best Baseball Drama - Hardball - I know, I know, Keanu Reeves meets the Mighty Ducks doesn't sound like the ideal movie but the way he connects with these inner-city kids who only know fear is really great. This is not the "Best Acting" award, just "Best Drama."

Best Baseball Movie for Young Kids - TIE - Rookie of the Year AND Little Big League - Both of these movies give kids a whole lot of power over a Major League team, plus Gary Busey and Timothy Busfield star in them, respectively. Angels in the Outfield was also considered for this award.

Best Baseball Movie for History Buffs - The Babe - This is probably the best portrayal of the real Babe Ruth we will ever see. He was a larger than life person and John Goodman brought it to life with gusto! We also get a short glimpse into Ruth's childhood.

Most Compelling Storyline - The Fan - Robert DeNiro plays a psychotic fan in this Baseball thriller in which he ends up kidnapping his favorite player's (Wesley Snipes) son. How Snipes went from a speedy leadoff hitter in Major League to a power hitter with a size 9 hat in The Fan is anyone's guess!

Worst Baseball Movie - Ed - There were too many options for this award (Summer Catch, Air Bud, 7th Inning Fetch) but a chimp playing baseball is where I draw the line!

Guilty Pleasure Baseball Movie - Major League III: Back to the Minors - It's got Scott Bakula in it for Christ's sake!

Most Underrated Baseball Movie - The Benchwarmers - I also considered this one for Best Comedy but I don't think enough people know how good this movie really is. I like it a lot!

Most Overrated Baseball Movie - The Natural - So many people think that this movie is great and I just don't understand it. This movie took a great book and made it into a mediocre movie.

Best Actor in a Baseball Role - Tom Hanks as Jimmie Dugan in A League of Their Own - It's been said that the character of Dugan was based on Jimmie Foxx. Hanks plays a cantankerous ex-ballplayer turned manager of a Women's professional team used to draw crowds.


1. Field of Dreams - This is not only my favorite baseball movie but also my favorite movie period. It's hard to put into words the way I feel about it but I love it. It's the perfect blend of warm hearted emotion and baseball.

2. Eight Men Out - Here's what I know. I love baseball, I love history, and I hate the Chicago White Sox. This movie has it all. Great historical fact, great baseball action, and the downfall of my most hated major league franchise. Not to mention an all-star cast including the literally immortal Studs Terkel.

3. Major League - This is timeless to anyone from the Cleveland area. It's like the summer equivalent to "A Christmas Story". The characters are perfect and the storyline sums up beautifully the way a Cleveland sports fan feels. It's nice that there is a piece of art that can make us tortured souls of Northeast Ohio laugh at our flaws.

4. 61* - Now I had stated before this blog was written that I wouldn't put any movies from my top 5 into the awards section but I lied. This one will make a later appearance. This movie is THE BEST at capturing real life on screen when it comes to baseball. The whole reason is that the stories came from the source since Billy Crystal and Mickey Mantle were friends. Crystal portrays Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle in a truthful, yet tasteful manner. It's a moving piece and one that I don't think gets enough credit.

5. Fever Pitch - This movie makes you proud to be a baseball fan. It's quite sad the way Jimmy Fallon's character is but they make it okay by giving him a personality and heart. I think that's something that makes the film special and also the real life improbable comeback of the Red Sox. That true event makes this movie a classic.

Now for my awards in the following categories.

Best Baseball Comedy - Bad News Bears - I gotta agree with Matt on this one, although I'm going to stick with the original. Walter Matheau and the cast of kids are hilarious from start to end.

Best Baseball Drama - Bang the Drum Slowly - This is the "Brian's Song" of baseball movies so to say the storyline is original would be ignorant, however, DeNiro gives his usual great performance and makes you fall in love with his character only to be let down in the end. Plenty of highs and lows in this piece.

Best Baseball Movie for Young Kids - Rookie of the Year - I loved it as a kid and I still love it today. It's everything a kid could ask for, playing in the big leagues at the age of 12. I also think the goofy character that is played by Daniel Stern is perfect for kids that watch this movie.

Best Baseball Movie for History Buffs - 61* - I disqualified Ken Burns' "Baseball" because it's more of a mini series than a movie so I went with 61*. This gets in depth with the people that were making history and as anyone into history will tell you, the more you can know about the people the more interesting the events are.

Most Compelling Storyline - For Love of the Game - This movie has a lot going on for one character. Kevin Costner is an aging star pitcher who is dealing with an ailing body, the loss of a love he wants back, and in the middle of it all he is throwing a perfect game at Yankee Stadium. This is one of those movies you could almost forget it's about baseball just because the story of this main character has you wrapped up in his personal life. I think it was very well done.

Worst Baseball Movie - Mr. 3000 - Pretty much the only baseball movie that I liked NOTHING about. That's saying something.

Guilty Pleasure Baseball Movie - Major League 2 - I guess it's really not that big of a guilty pleasure but I'm pretty sure that outside of Indians fans most people think this movie is lame. I mean it does have the stereotypical sequel feel where they throw together a flaky storyline and bring back everyone just to make some money again. I mean Omar Epps plays Wesley Snipes as Willie Mays Hayes and nobody even cared. Whenever that happens and you like it then it's probably a bad movie. And I do like the movie.

Most Underrated Baseball Movie - Cobb - It seems like this movie is never mentioned when talking about baseball movies and it's probably because it's technically not about baseball it's about a baseball player. Ty Cobb, in my opinion, is one of the most interesting characters in baseball history because of his volatile personality and the heartbreaking life behind it. This movie captures that heartache and gives you a new perspective on this misunderstood man.

Most Overrated Baseball Movie - The Natural - Listen...the rightfielder dies after running into the wall. That is how Redford becomes a star. I mean come on...really? And this movie is classic? I can't understand it. I think the homerun into the light fixture scene is great but that's it.

Best Actor in a Baseball Role - TIE - Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig in "Pride of the Yankees" and John Turturro as Billy Martin in "The Bronx is Burning" - I had to give this award to a legendary actor in a legendary role. The Lou Gehrig story is epic in the baseball world and Gary Cooper does an excellent job in this old classic. I'm not sure that Bronx qualifies as a "movie" because it was shown on ESPN in parts but I do know it's available in full on DVD so I figured that was a movie in my book. Turturro was amazing in this role and I think he is a very good and under appreciated actor in today's Hollywood circle. I was not around when Billy Martin was in the majors but I've seen plenty of videos and it was eerie how well Turturro was able to capture the fire on the field of Martin as well as the tortured soul off the field. This is a must see for all baseball fans.

So what do you think? What are your favorite movies? Do you agree with the guys, think they've completely missed a great movie or have suggestions for other awards? Let them hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment